Easiest ever, is the Butter cookie recipe below - YUMMY!
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Beat the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla together until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the egg yolk until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl at least once.
- Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Scrape onto a lightly floured board and knead a few times, just until the dough smooths out.
- Turn onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log, wrap up and refrigerate for several hours or freeze.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment.
- Cut out different shapes with your cookie cutters
- Bake until JUST beginning to turn golden around the edges, about 10-12 minutes.
After the cookies come out of the oven, let them cool completely.
In the mean time mix your ingredients for the glace icing
1lb powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 C)
6T whole milk (low-fat actually works, but use whole if you can)
6T light Corn Syrup (6T is equal to 1/4 C plus another 2 T)
1 t almond extract
With a whisk, combine sugar and milk until smooth (no lumps!) Then stir in corn syrup and extract.
I started with white glace and outlinded the shape of the cookie
When dry, mix some food color into the glace and flood the cookie. I used sprinkles on top of the glace just to add some more color to it.
Hats and Gloves
Happy Holidays and enjoy some cookies! There are soooo good with a hot chocolate in hand, listening to Christmas Carols and staring at the decorated Christmas Tree.