Friday, December 19, 2014

Spool to Ottoman

Remember when I found a spool at Home Depot and got all excited?

I had another one in the basement, a lot smaller that I got from one of our tradeshows earlier this year. I was almost as excited about it! :)

Surprisingly I don't have a picture of it and didn't take one until I was way into my project.

I took out the metal stakes that were holding the spool together and ended up with only the top and bottom wooden circle.
In the middle was cheap cardboard and was thrown out.

I cut a 2x4 into 6 pieces, about 8" long and with a nail gun, nailed them to both sides of the wooden circle.


One of the table runners that I made out of burlap for our wedding, needed to be cut in pieces and got stapled all around to the top and bottom of the wooden circles to give it a better shape for later.



I cut 3" foam with our electrical turkey knife into a round shape, the same size as the wooden circle and spray glued it onto one side.


Can you almost see the new ottoman?


Leftover batting covers the complete spool.


I sketched around the wooden circle and marked it onto the left side of an old coffee bag. Cutting it out with about 1.5" space all around. This is going as the top seat cover. The leftover bag was used for the bottom and got sewed into one long piece.


After several fittings it was time to staple the burlap onto the bottom of the chair with lots of stocking it along the way.

I attached some wooden legs to finish it up. 


What do you think?

Pretty Royal isn't it? :)




 Now if I would just be in town to be able to enjoy the new ottoman...

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Outdoor bench

I don't think I have shown you our bench project yet, I could be wrong though.
I'm all over the place right now, never at home, never in the same city for more than 3 days.
These last 6 weeks were just crazy. Toronto, Chicago, San Jose, Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York, Germany...

I was driving to the airport the other day and couldn't even remember where I'm going that day.

It is pretty bad. Only good thing about this is, I'm very close to being platinum with my skymiles account. I do have fun doing it, but right now it is a little too
much.

Anyways... Maybe a month ago, while we were at the cabin, we decided to do something with the two 10' wood pieces that we bought at the Blue Ridge auction.

They were really cool, but in pretty bad shape. Dried out with lots of sharp edges and splinters.


We bought some wood and long screws and cut legs to size, attached them to the bottom of the seat.


I sanded for hours and hours until everything was smooth.

After the wood "drank" three coats of Polyurethane, it started to look healthy again.


Doesn't this look so good?



To make it more stable, we cut a hole in the middle leg, bought an 8' long handrail and slid it through the hole. Screwing it in from the outsides. 


And here they are...

Very happy with the end result, we now have plenty of seating on our decks. 

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Shutter ideas

When we bought our cabin, the crawl space was jam packed with junk from the previous owners.
We left it untouched for 6 months not sure what to do with all of this.
When it got colder, the heat didn't stay in the house and the downstairs smelled musty. We decided to spend the money and have our crawl space insulated.
 
The company came out and hauled all of the things outside. We decided what to keep, everything else they took and recycled. I loved it. There were tons of cool tiles, paint, and a huge shutter/door panel.
 
It stank like crazy and took almost 6 hours, but after it was done, the heat now stays in the house and the musty smell is completely gone.
It was worth every penny.

 
It really is huge. I decided to cut it in half, not knowing what to do with an almost 10' door.

 
Paint stripper came in handy, I covered the complete thing with it and waited for 30 minutes.
 
 
 Most of the white nasty paint came easily off, revealing a kind of cool green paint which didn't come off.


 I love paint stripper, you so easily get the paint off with a spatula, I don't know why I ever sanded.
 
 
After seeing the green paint, I decided I'm going to leave it as is and only attached four double hooks for towels, coats, etc.
 
 
You can still see some white paint on it. It makes it more rustic and I think it turned out really nice.
 


It matches the color of the d├ęcor of our bedroom at the cabin, and now guests can easily hang up their coats.