Our first DIY project

After getting settled for some time and buying furniture for rooms we’ve never had before, there it was.. our first DIY project.
There was no back splash in the kitchen! 

  
To be honest, I thought I would take about one Saturday afternoon to put some tiles on the wall. It looks so easy on all the HGTV shows. Stupid me..

So last Saturday we went to Lowe's and picked out some tiles. While talking to an assistant about what is needed besides tiles and adhesive, and maybe some grout, our cart got stocked up with products. I had no clue that it was necessary to rip out the existing dry wall since the adhesive or grout will destroy the wall - so we bought backer board as well.

Once at home we started to pull out tiny pieces of dry wall, using a hammer, a saw, our hands...
It was harder and more time consuming than I thought it would ever be. We were already exhausted half way through.      


                 

 Brian started to measure and saw the different sizes for the backer board while I started to glue on tiles.



He had to go out of town on a business trip and left me alone with a half way finished project.


                 

I had to go back to Lowe’s several times to get tiles cut, get more grout and worked on the back splash every day after work. My deadline to finish was Thursday night before Brian got home – and luckily I made it happen!  

Also it is not sealed yet and needs tiny touch up work, I’m really proud that our first DIY home project did not end up in a disaster.

Now that it is Friday, and I have not a project set up for this weekend, I’m getting a little restless. I’m already thinking about what to do next… finish the basement? Extend the deck? Build some furniture? There is so much in my head, I just don’t know where to start! So stay tuned!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wing Chair Recovery - Part II

My new toy..

The Nursery - Final reveal